Christian Association of Nigeria, (CAN) Kaduna State Chapter, has called on the Federal Government to as a matter of urgency call Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai to Order, over his recent comment, threatening to invite foreign Mercenaries into the state to combat terrorism.
This was contained in a Press Statement made available to News-Port Nigeria on Saturday by CAN Chairman, Kaduna State, Rev. Dr. Joseph John Hayap, said it is not the responsibility of State Government to deploy foreign Mercenaries into the country except the president who is the commander in Chief of the Armed Forces.
Hayap who accused the Governor in the statement said the approach of compesating Herdsmen to stop killing has backfired and Kaduna State is paying dearly for it at the moment.
In the statement tittled, “What Mercenaries is Governor Elrufai Inviting”? Hayap said “While CAN agrees that terrorists have had a field day, CAN reckon that if any other Nigerian had made or muted such an idea in public space, such would have been accused or arrested by the government for undermining the security agencies and the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces.
“Accordingly, CAN doubts if any section of the Nigerian Constitution allows any office holder, apart from the Commander in Chief, to invite a foreign combatant into the country.
“Moreover, it was a similar strategy that Elrufai employed years back when he claimed to have compensated some herdsmen, which led to the escalation of the security situation, particularly in Kaduna state.
“For CAN, the approach to give gunmen money so that they would stop attacking the populace has backfired and Kaduna state is paying dearly for such a miscalculation at present.
The Cleric urged President Muhammadu Buhari to call Kaduna State Government to order before his excesses lead Nigeria to bigger problem.
“The federal government should, therefore, call Elrufai to order before his excesses lead Nigeria to a bigger problem especially since the general elections are around the corner.
“CAN acknowledge that what Nigeria needs currently is a sincerity of purpose from all stakeholders and the citizenry towards finding lasting solutions, not subjective statements that could further heighten the presence of bandits in Nigeria.
“CAN will continue to pray and urge citizens to be on the watch against any erroneous direction that could do this country no good but harm.” He added.
Recalled, that the Governor earlier this week has called on the Nigeria Military to bombard bandits’ hideouts in the State, threatened to deployed foreign aides should the Federal Government continue to be reluctant on the prevailing insecurity challenges in the State.
This has generated a lot of controversies over the week from many Nigerians, analysing outcome of the foreign mercenaries in various perspectives.
More on this will come your way as soon as the Governor respond to the statement.